The 'FSV UK SCHOLAR' Program
The 'FSV UK SCHOLAR' Program
This scholarship is directly offered and administered by Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University with a contribution from the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports. The scholarship is intended to support the living costs of students in a demonstrably difficult financial situation.
What is on offer
The scholarship is administered as a one-time lump-sum payment of approx. CZK 75 000 (ca. EUR 3 000) to selected students to support the student's necessary living costs. There is no tuition fee waiver as a part of the scholarship. The awardees do not have to account for the cost-of-living allowance.
The scholarship is awarded for one year; in subsequent years, the awardees need to apply again. Provided that the reasons for the award of the scholarship are still valid and funds allow it, the evaluation committee will give priority in the selection procedure to these students
The application submitted in this academic year is valid for scholarship awarded in the next academic year.
Who is eligible
The scholarship can be awarded to students studying in one of the Faculty's fee-based study programmes in the first three years of study for Bachelor's programmes or the first two years of study for Master's programmes. This means the application can be submitted by current students in the first or second year of Bachelor's studies or first year of Master's studies, or by a new applicant to any of our fee-based programmes.
Financial terms and conditions
The successful scholarship awardees will receive payment at the start of the Winter semester, after they register for their studies and fulfill all prerequisites.
- The student must settle all possible pre-existing tuition fee debts from previous academic years.
- The scholarship will only be administered after the awarded student proceeds with the payment of tuition fee for the Winter semester. As for newly accepted students, no money will be paid in advance of the student's arrival in Prague in case of a visa delay.
- Scholarships will not be offered for the third year of study (Master's degree) or the fourth year of study (Bachelor's degree) under any circumstances.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
The deadline for scholarship applications for 2024/2025 is April 30, 2024. The awarded scholarships will then be paid out no later than December 2024 provided that all conditions are met.
The application has to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please download the application here.
The application has to be submitted complete (with all necessary documents), and all submitted documents have to be written in English, or accompanied by certified translations.
The application has to include the following 2 attachments:
- completed motivation essay of no more than 1000 words, explaining why you need a scholarship, and what you hope to gain from your studies at Charles University
- one letter of recommendation from a Charles University academic who knows you from your studies at the Faculty and is familiar with your situation (in case of current students) or from an academic, who knows you from your previous studies, including confirmation of your financial need (in case of new applicants)
IMPORTANT: All scholarship applicants who are fresh applicants for one of our programmes HAVE TO also submit an application for their selected study programme and note the name of the programme on their application for the scholarship. Without this, their application for a scholarship will not be considered. The application from the program must be submitted through our online application portal and must be complete with the application fee paid by April 30th 2024.
Selection of applicants
The Scholarship Review Board will assess all complete and eligible scholarship applications received by the deadline. The students selected to receive scholarships will be recommended to the Dean of the Faculty for the final decision.
The decision of the Board will be independent of the Admission Committee decision. However, only students finally admitted by the Faculty are eligible to become scholarship holders.
In addition to the documents submitted by scholarship applicants, the Scholarship Review Board will take into consideration applicants' results from their previous studies at FSV CUNI or elsewhere, the applicants' financial situation and any previous awarded scholarships.
The Dean will make a final decision regarding the students to be offered scholarships. The Dean will not enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants regarding this decision.