FSV UK at a Glance
WELCOME TO THE FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES (FSV UK)
The Faculty of Social Sciences (FSV UK) is a part of one of the oldest universities in the world which was founded in 1348 by Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. Shortly after the establishment in 1990, FSV UK became a regional centre of teaching and research in economics, sociology, political science, international relations, area studies, media studies and journalism.
What is our mission?
The promotion of learning and the protection of knowledge, the cultivation of free thought, independent academic research and the support of the creative spirit of human society. Our main objective is to develop teaching and research in those aspects of the social sciences which directly or indirectly relate to the public administration or to the economic and cultural life of society.
Number of Students
At the moment, FSV UK has more than 5000 full-time students. That is 10 % of all students of Charles University!
FSV UK has one of the highest international mobility participation rates of all CU faculties. More than 400 students are enrolled in one of our English language degree programmes.
FSV UK emphasizes the development of foreign cooperation. Firstly, by developing and strengthening scientific bonds, student and academic mobility and, secondly, by offering English language degree programmes. Throughout the academic year the Faculty regularly organizes guest lectures, seminars, workshops and conferences in English. They take place in cooperation with the Faculty´s partner universities in Europe, North America, Asia and the Middle East.
Why FSV UK?
- Academic excellence. Charles University is the only Czech university in the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- Top lecturers. Members of the Faculty include distinguished academics as well as leading figures in the policy making, economics and social life of the region.
- Talent. We seek the best in students and develop their potential. Every year, students of FSV UK are granted competitive awards and scholarships.
- Hands-on experience. Our graduates not only receive a firm grounding in theory but also have numerous opportunities to get involved in various practical projects as well.
- Friendly environment. FSV UK is a place where students and Faculty members meet and interact. Moreover, students benefit from the young, dynamic and interdisciplinary environment.
What can you study?
Studies at FSV UK are intended primarily to prepare students for a professional career in the private sector, public administration, national governments, European institutions, academic research or the media. They are divided into three separate cycles:
Bachelor's degree cycle
- 3 years, leads to a Bc. degree (equivalent to a BA)
Master's degree cycle
- 2 years, leads to a Mgr. degree (equivalent to a MA)
- 4 years, lead to a Doctorate (Ph.D)
Many of our alumni succeed in competitions for highly qualified jobs or they continue their studies at top universities in USA, United Kingdom (Harvard, Columbia, LSE, Cambridge, etc.) or other prestigious academic institution.
While the language of instruction is Czech and English, students can chose from classes in a wide range of other languages, namely German, Russian, Spanish and French.