NOSTRIFICATION and Recognition of Previous Degree Education

NOSTRIFICATION and Recognition of Previous Degree Education


For the application, you only have to submit scans of your documents or electronic versions. Translation is necessary in case the documents are not in English or Czech. If you don't have a diploma yet, confirmation of study with expected graduation period will suffice. No formal nostrification is required for the scans.


In order to enrol into our Master’s programs, you need to submit a proof that you successfully finished at least your Bachelor education. Nostrification is the process of assessment of your documents and recogizing their validity for the enrollment.


WHEN: You need to submit your hardcopies of your documents by the September in-person registration at the latest. 

WHAT: You should submit your diploma and diploma supplement/transcript of records of your studies.
By diploma, we mean a final certificate of your studies. The document should clearly state that you completed your Bachelor education, your credentials and the degree you achieved. By transcript of records, we mean a document describing the content and scope of your completed education including grades(can be a diploma supplement.

HOW: 1) In person during the in-person registration in September
2) Send it via post or courier service in advance in case you aren't able to arrive in Prague by the end of September

Please use this address:
Marcela Vrbatová
International Office
Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University
Smetanovo nábř. 6
110 01 Praha 1

THE PROCESS: Your documents will be assessed based on 3 criteria: validity of the document (“Is it a hard copy or notarized copy?”), language translation (“Is it in English or Czech?”) and authentication (based on country of origin – Apostille or Superlegalization).
This assessment is free of charge.

Please note: The assessment of your documents (nostrification) is only valid for the purposes of admission at the Faculty of Social Sciences, CU.

Should you have any queries regarding the process of recognition of your previous education, please contact Marcela Vrbatová (

Which document do you need to bring?

Choose from the options below.


Provide your degree diploma – an original document or a notarized copy. No need for further authentication.

If you completed your previous studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences, you do not need to bringyour diploma; we will be able to see it in your student records.


You will need to go through nostrification assessment of documents (a process of recognizing the validity of your diploma). This is required by the Czech law.
A hard copy or notarized copy must be presented.
All submitted documents which are not originally issued in the Czech, English, or Slovak languages must be officially translated by a sworn translator into the Czech or English languages.

The documents must be authenticated depending on the country of origin: Forms of verification by the country (with the exception of article B)



If you have already gone through the general nostrification process and have a document proving the recognition of your foreign education degree issued by the MOI, MOE or MOD, you can submit the original or a notarized copy of this document.

More on this process can be found here.


This is a document issued in Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, or Slovenia (only Masters), as these countries have an international agreement with Czechia.

You need to submit your diploma – an original document or notarized copy. No further authentication is necessary.


Submit a copy of your diploma and diploma supplement - an original or notarized copy. The documents should be authenticated based on the country where the document was issued (see Forms of verification by the country).

If there is any ambiguity, the students may be asked to obtain a general nostrification (see A).

Nostrification FAQs

What if your school only issues electronic diplomas?

Some schools no longer issue hard copies of graduation documents. In that case, please send us the link and information necessary for us to download it directly from the school's portal. If that isn't possible, please ask your school to send us your diploma and transcript directly to The documents must be send directly from the school to our office; we cannot accept documents sent to us by students themselves.

What if your diploma isn't ready by your September registration?

We are aware that some schools take time to physically issue the diploma. If that's your case, please bring a confirmation of graduation instead (a stamped hard copy).This will suffice for the enrolment. Once you do obtain your diploma later in the academic year, please bring it to our office for additional assessment. 

You have been accepted and have your documents ready. Should you send them to us via mail as soon as possible?

It is not necessary to mail us your documents during the summer. The nostrification will be performed during your registration meeting in September and we don't need your documents earlier. Please, only send us your documents in case you can't make it to Prague by October and will not be here for the September registrations. We will return the documents to you when you do arrive in Prague and come to our office. 

Can you translate your documents by yourself for the nostrification?

No. Your documents need to be translated by a certified translator into either Czech or English.