FAQ Arrival

FAQ Arrival

What are the main rules for entering the Czech republic?

At the moment, the Czech Government decided to ban all non-essential travel to Czechia for all travelers except the citizens and residents of EU+ countries. Several exceptions apply to the above mentioned ban. Nevertheless, the study is considered as essential for this purpose. Therefore, you can travel to Czechia with valid long-term visa or long-term residency permit for study reason from anywhere in the world with the exception of countries listed as black (see lower). If you have doubts, please, do not hesitate to contact us at degreeprograms@fsv.cuni.cz, or at exchange@fsv.cuni.cz for exchange students.  

The Czech government applies a system of colour coding - green, orange, red, dark red, black - for countries to determine the potential risk level of each country. The restrictions apply according to the colour code of the country you have been to at least consecutive 12 hours during the last 14 days. In general, green countries are considered as countries with low risk and there are almost no additional restrictions applied to travels from these countries. Black countries are considered as the most extreme high-risk countries and it is forbidden to travel there and arrive from these countries with a very limited number of exceptions. Please note, that the colour coding list of countries and the list of restrictions can change on a daily basis, so we advise you to stay well informed. You can find more information on the website of the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Ministry of Health.

Where can I verify what colour code has the country I travelled from?

The countries with low risk (green), medium risk (orange), high risk (red), and extreme risk (black) of transmission are listed here.  All other countries are considered as countries with a very high risk of transmission (dark red). Please, check the various set of restrictions applied according to the colour coding system here.

What are the main restrictions according to the colour codes?

The various rules for entry are listed below (last update July 9, 2021):

for citizens of Czechia and foreign nationals with a residence permit issued by Czechia, citizens of EU+ and foreign nationals with long-term or permanent residence permit issued by EU+ INFOGRAPHICS and RULES; and for third-country nationals who do not have any residence permit issued by a Czechia or long-term or permanent residence permit issued by other EU+ country, third-country nationals who have a short-term visa issued by Czechia before May 11, 2020 or short term or long-term visa issued by other EU+ country INFOGRAPHICS and RULES.

What are suggested testing points and where are they located?

The most convenient place to take the PCR test upon your arrival via plane is at the Václav Havel Airport. Please be aware, the PCR tests from abroad are in general not accepted by the authorities.

Or you can find several suggested testing points here or more at the official website (in Czech only). Should you need assistance please contact the International Office.

What is the procedure once I take the PCR test according to the conditions for entry?

The test result will be submitted automatically to the locally competent regional public health authority via an information system.

NOTE: Please, note you are obliged to inform us about the negative test before entering the University building. Use the following email address:

For degree students: degreeprograms@fsv.cuni.cz
For exchange students: exchange@fsv.cuni.cz

If the test result is negative you can leave the self-isolation if applied. Just follow the general measures.

In the unlikely event of positive test result, wait for the instruction from the hygiene station and start the self-quarantine immediately.

I have heard some of the Czech embassies are closed?

Yes, unfortunately, some of the Czech embassies are closed and do not accept the application for visas. These are usually the embassies in so-called black countries. See the latest news at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. There is not much we can do about it, but we can stay in touch about your situation. You can rely on the hybrid form of teaching that we prepare right for such situations.