Short Study Visit Programme
Download the Application
Conditions of study
The Short Study Visit Programme is essentially designed to give international students or researchers an opportunity to visit FSV UK on an informal basis. Short Study Visits are currently available at all five of the Faculty's institutes, and in all subjects offered. Visits may be arranged for any length of time from a minimum of four weeks to a maximum of two semesters, according to the applicant's own preferences. Although the bulk of the Faculty's teaching is conducted in Czech, a large number of our courses are taught in English, French or German.
As part of our Short Study Visit Programme we offer the following:
- The right to register for any classes normally offered by the Faculty, up to a total of 30 ECTS credits per semester, and to receive credit for those classes upon completion of the necessary curricular requirements.
- The right to be offered a considerable discount in the tuition fee where the student does not register and attend any lectures and seminars offered by the Faculty in order to fully concentrate on research in his/her chosen field.
- The availability of space and the possibility to attend any further classes which attract the student's interest.
- The provision of personal consultations with an academic supervisor.
- The opportunity to prepare a piece of written work on a specific topic set by the student's consultant, which will be assessed by a committee of independent examiners, and attested by a certificate from Charles University.
- In cases where the student's visit lasts at least one full semester, they will also on request be issued with a transcript.
Applications can be submitted during the whole academic year.
We strongly suggest, however, that students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries apply by these dates:
for Winter Semester - by 30th June
for Summer Semester - by 31st October
in order to start the visa application process in time.
Cost of tuition
The cost of tuition is currently 2500 EUR per semester.
The current discounted fee for visiting scholars to do research at FSV UK is 1000 EUR per semester.
These prices apply only to the programme of Short Study Visits at the Faculty of Social Sciences, and they cover only the cost of tuition and examinations. Students are responsible for paying their own living expenses (food, lodging, etc.) Although we do not have any immediate plans to raise school fees, we reserve the right to increase prices in the future, in response to rising overheads.
Access to Master's Degree Classes
Students who have received a government scholarship under the terms of one of the Czech Republic's international cultural agreements, and visiting students who are attending Charles University under the terms of SOCRATES, CEEPUS or a bilateral university exchange agreement are welcome to attend individual classes from our degree programmes. However, they cannot enrol as degree students without paying school fees.
Visa and Residence Permit
If you are a citizen of an EU or an EFTA country you do not need to apply for a visa. It is enough for you to register with the Czech Immigration Police within 30 days after your arrival (this is a legal requirement).
However, students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries who wish to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days, need a student visa. This includes students from EU candidate countries. In some cases, it may also include foreign nationals who are currently resident in another EU country. For more details, see our Visa Information page.
For further information please contact International Office.